Having to withdraw from his next scheduled pro boxing match due to injury is ‘just a small setback’ says Chad ‘2 Slick’ Sugden, adding that he will be back in the ring before the end of the year, stronger and more dangerous than ever.
After an MRI scan last week confirmed a Grade 2 tear to the lateral ligament in his ankle, the Suggy’s Gym fighter is following the advice of doctors and his team physio by dialling down the intensity of his training while he goes through a period of rehab.
“We’re gutted that we’ve had to pull out of next month’s Walsall show,” said Suggy’s Gym head coach Dean Sugden. “But Chad’s future career is so important and we don’t want to run the risk of making things worse by training at the level required to fight as originally planned next month.
“We’re confident that after a few weeks of rehab we can pick things up again. Some of the discussions going on right now about what’s in store for next year are very exciting to say the least and there’s no doubt that 2017 is going to be massive for Chad.”
With an unbeaten record of four wins from four contests since his debut in March, Chad is being watched with interest not only by some of the big players on the professional boxing circuit but also by the kickboxing world, given his achievements on both K-1 Global and on the Glory World Series.
His performances against some extremely credible and testing opponents, including a devastating third round KO win against a normally very durable Kieron Gray last month, have seen him move rapidly up the UK rankings to number 20, above many boxers unbeaten in more fights.
Now Nottingham-born Chad is looking to follow in the footsteps of one of his idols, Carl ‘The Cobra’ Froch. “Like me, Carl was proud of the city he came from and he also lived in Newark for a short time. Like him, I want to give the people of Nottingham someone to follow and be proud of, to emulate his success and become a WBC World Champion at the same weight” said the Suggy’s Gym 22 year-old.
“I believe I have all the tools I need to become a Unified World Champion, to go the States and beat some of the best American boxers. In the meantime, I’m making all the right decisions by following the advice of the fantastic team supporting me behind the scenes. If this means pulling out of my next fight, then so be it; it’s just a small setback which won’t stop me getting where I want to be.
“We’re hoping to make an announcement very soon, giving everyone already committed to the November match up a new date. I’ve been offered fights for both Saturday 10 and Saturday 17 December but just need to see how things unfold over the next two or three weeks as I start my rehab before deciding which of them to take.
“One thing’s for sure – I’ll be back in the ring before the year is out and, disappointed as I am to be missing November, I’ll be even stronger and more dangerous in December!”